UPSC Mains 2013 Onwards General Studies Paper IV
Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude
This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilise the case study approach to determine these aspects.
The following broad areas may be covered.
* Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society
* Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes;
* Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non‐partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion;
* Emotional intelligence‐concepts, and their utilities and application;
* Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
* Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public Administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
* Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
* Case Studies on above issues.